Saturday, October 20, 2007

BOOGIES ON A BUDGET

South Bay local Sal, surfing Redondo Beach post shoulder surgery; it was only his third session since this past August. Heal up, brother! http://www.emulsionphoto.com/

Surfing has become relatively mainstream--equipment costs have gone through the roof thanks to "supply and demand"--but bodyboarding remains an obscure sport, and a consistently cheaper alternative. Nowadays, the likelihood of fiding great deal on a surfboard at a yard sale, no matter it's age is nill--but a bodyboard is another story.
Case in point: I scored a great bodyboard today at a yardsale for $2.
I was ready to pull out $30 when I saw the vintage beauty.
My wallet became $15 lighter last time I made an impulse purchase of a similar model.
"How much is this boogie board?" I asked the lady hosting the yard sale.
"Two dollars!" she said, much to my surprise.
Done deal!
My sponsored bodyboarding friends cannot even scrape by with their sponsorship income--if they even have sponsorship income.
The disparity between the income of the rich (surfers) and the rags (bodyboarders) always dissapoints me.
However, my mind should be at ease now.
All I need to think of next time I look at ESPN and see surfing is one thing, and I will be happy: the $2.00 boogie.
SURF REPORT:
The surf is gradually filling in; there were 2'-3', perhaps occasional 4' sets today, with fair (but not hollow) shape at Manhattan Pier. It was a windswell, but with the dark, cold and murky water and much stronger waves, it felt almost like winter! It was a great session with all of the groms out there. The waves weren't big. However, size should increase Sunday through Monday.

No comments: